It’s no surprise the staff at Destination British Columbia love BC. So we figured it was time to introduce them. Starting every week, we’ll feature one of our staff members who will share their favourite places and spaces in BC.
This week’s featured staff member is: Ryan Leung, Online User Interface Specialist, eMarketing
1. What’s your favourite place to visit in BC and why?
My favourite place in BC is the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island, a part of the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve. There’s a number of reasons why it’s my favourite place but chiefly it’s the spot (Thrasher Cove to be exact) where I proposed to my now wife so it’s sentimental for that reason. Aside from that, there are other awesome things about it that make it a true west coast adventure to complete:
• It’s difficult – 75km/46mi long and you spend almost a week on the trail away from civilization encountering many challenges along the way. When you finish there’s a true sense of accomplishment; it feels almost like a spiritual and introspective journey for enthusiasts of the outdoors.
• It’s beautiful – Hiking on the beach during the trail is an incredible sight of mile after mile of amazing coastline. Lots of interesting features/shipwrecks to see along the way too – it’s not surprising that it’s known worldwide as a hiking destination.
• It’s well managed – The trail is in great condition and the campsites are nice considering the remoteness of the area. The volume of hikers on the trail is limited to a quota each day and it makes for a more pristine experience on the hike.
2. What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned about BC since you started working here?
The enthusiasm for the province amongst staff here, as well as British Columbians in general, is a pretty remarkable thing. People here love the place they live in and also love telling other people about it.
3. What’s one place in BC you haven’t visited yet, but you’d like to, and why?
I have not yet visited the fabled place of Haida Gwaii but I would like to one day. From the pictures I have seen, it looks like an incredible destination to visit. Like my West Coast Trail trip, I feel it would be another spiritual experience – just being so close to nature there, and learning about the Aboriginal history and culture associated with that place. Though it is a long way from the city, it’s definitely on my list of places to visit in BC.
Do you have a favourite place in British Columbia? Leave a comment below and tell us what it is!
Are you a BC travel guru? Why not share your experience and write for the HelloBC blog?